View Single Post
Old 6th August 2018, 14:22   #51979  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmedHorror View Post
Is HDR content (i.e., 4k UHD 10-bit Blu-ray) supposed to look much darker than SDR on an 8-bit monitor, or are my madVR settings causing this problem?

Thanks!
This is normal because a high-contrast image is being shown at a low brightness. Most HDR content is around 1,000 nits at the brightest pixel vs. 100 nits for SDR. In order to display this correctly, some range compression is required to provide proper contrast between dark and bright image detail. Otherwise, detail would be clipped and the image would be flat. PQ HDR is also an absolute brightness standard without a flexible gamma curve like SDR. So it is difficult to brighten it even when converted to SDR without making it inaccurate. For example, you can't watch a 100 nit source at 300 nits like SDR content.

There are different approaches to tone mapping. BT.2390 happens to be on the harsh side and compresses most of the content range to a lower nits. In the future, more dynamic tone mapping may be available or different tone mapping curves. This should make the image a little brighter. Personally, I've adapted to the darker image and find that the HDR version can have detail that isn't possible in SDR because the brightest information is clipped.

Try using a lower target nits and/or brightening your display when watching HDR content. Changing the gamma curve in calibration can also help sometimes. The target nits value is the PQ container and not the brightness of your SDR display. The conversion from PQ to gamma does not translate directly and will vary by display depending on its brightness and gamma curve. Two displays with the same relative brightness can require different target nits.

Last edited by Warner306; 6th August 2018 at 15:57.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote