View Single Post
Old 14th January 2017, 16:03   #18  |  Link
CruNcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit View Post
The real use cases for these hardware encoders are:

A) You simply cannot spend or do not have the CPU resources necessary to do proper software encoding (e.g. game streaming at high resolutions and 60p)
B) You care much more for speed than quality (e.g. quick transcodes for compatibility)

When quality is the primary consideration, x265 is still the bees knees
This is also interesting in AMDs new RyZen Strategy they actually market it like (N)CU supported Encoding is bad (Quicksync,APP,NVENC) our 8 Cores can do it way more efficiently alone without impacting anything at the same time due to our extremely cool async processing architecture and all that at super low latency as well

But in all that greatness how it is they don't say anything about Power Efficiency of course

I guess this is not really needed with a crowed of Gamers/Youtube/Twitch sellers that need to be impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit View Post
That is a huge problem with HEVC right now.

The only browser that does support it AFAIK is Edge, and in that case only if you have HEVC hardware acceleration in your system.

From what I understand the lack of browser support is mostly due to licensing issues. FWIW, VP9 has decent software decode support on all current desktop browsers except Safari

Netflix did just announce that they will stream 4K HEVC to Edge and their Windows 10 app - but curiously chose to allow this only for users of Intel's new Kaby Lake CPUs - even though users like myself with an old Sandy Bridge CPU and a new GTX 1080 GPU could play this content perfectly fine... Hmm...

Basically HEVC distribution today is limited to smart TVs, set top boxes, and a few edge cases like Netflix on Kaby Lake on Windows 10.

There may also be some linear TV contribution or distribution being done via satellite using HEVC, but that's also kind of an edge case.

HEVC is fabulous, but until we see broad support on the desktop I think VP9 will be the "current gen" codec of choice for in-browser streaming, but with AVC still being hugely prevalent as well for "non youtube" sites
Hollywoods R&D doesn't accepts Sandy Bridge and Windows 7/8 as a Secure enough platform for High Quality Content Distribution, despite it's working AES Core but the UEFI structure has been to often compromised by now including the ME.

Windows 10 was hardened on many levels internaly which also cause many problems and needed heavy driver and Hardware work

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
It's not that I didn't test but it is difficult for me to determine the exact decoder being used on Windows 7 with both MS decoders and DXVA decoders being available. If I turn off hardware acceleration in chrome settings it can still play H.264 high profile HTML5 <video>, using "FFmpegVideoDecoder" which seems to confirm what you are saying though ffmpeg also supports DXVA2. Unlike you I don't have a system without any support for H.264 decoding.
It could also access VDPAU on Linux via ffmpeg directly it depends on the underlaying system to much we talking about HTML5 here it's heavily system dependent overall though Google prefers a internal controlled ffmpeg for several reasons and they invested a lot of Security bugfixing into it.

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 14th January 2017 at 18:52.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote