View Single Post
Old 3rd November 2020, 14:50   #1  |  Link
Troc

Regarding my restoration of Cutie Honey (1973)

Hello, first post and already pretty complicated. I however did search around and found fragments, not a specific discussion on this.
I'm a huge fan of Cutie Honey (1973), so I bought the DVD boxset. Being from the 70s, it has many issues which I want to fix with Virtualdub, since that's what I'm comfortable with. I think it was shot into film from the original source, which introduces all sorts of problems. So far, I'm using methods that might be suboptimal and some I cannot figure out correctly. Here we go:

- There's noise, which is a result of imperfect capture.
I use Neatvideo, which makes some really impressive results. It however does struggle a bit with digital artifacts and cannot remove some deeper film scratches/hairs.
- There's slightly warped duplicate frames, which again is a result of the film camera.
I tried MPDecimate with FFMPEG, but it didn't work for most duplicates, since in most of them, a small element or area sort of bubbles out, making the frame not identical, even though I can tell that it is the same frame. Removing the slightly altered duplicate frames manually would be horrendously slow. Do you have a solution?
- The frame shakes, which is a result of the film camera and the animation not being in perfect sync.
I tried using Deshaker, but I ran into problems where there either was extra black area (no inpainting?) or the frame was zoomed in with extra digital movement. I would like to have it work, since this is somewhat annoying.
The colors are washed out and yellowed.
I have altered saturation, value and hue and also tried to alter the white balance. However, it appears that some shots have different values and a static change makes them look weird when the rest of the shots look good. Do I need to separate those shots and alter them individually and later add together again?
- There's some background noise in the audio.
I would like to clean the audio up a bit. I cannot use the lossless audio from original files in Audacity since it doesn't have a library or something and I couldn't get it to work. If Virtualdub can do audio, what filter/settings should I use?

I could post a Mega or Gofile link to unaltered parts of the show, if it helps with your assessments.

So far, I can make the show much more visually pleasing. I know that I could make it even better, but my knowledge is limited and I learn best with interaction.
Troc is offline   Reply With Quote