View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2022, 12:27   #19490  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne View Post
I have downloaded your 2 sample's, and I will have to run them on a PC, but I DID noticed they are a very high bitrate, coming from you (I know they are only tests), but the Blade Runner sample @ CQ18, was around 6700kb/s, and todays were in the low to mid 40mb/s.
This is why I like Constant Quality. I'm not wasting bits if they are not needed. Even after degraining there was still some grain and as such CQ raised the bit rate to make sure the quality of the entire scene was the same as the whole clip. Another example is Avengers Endgame 4K is so clean the entire 3 hour movie comes out to 5.76 GiB (4553 kb/s bit rate) without any degraining whatsoever using CQ18. ideally, if you watched Endgame with a CQ18 and x265, it should be visually indistinguishable to an encode with hard bit rate of 90 Mb/s.

Using CQ also allows me to judge how clean the output is. I had another 4K movie that looked pretty clean and just had some light grain and it came out to be 18GB in size using CQ18 with no degraining. Just adding a little MDegrain2 with a thSAD=100 brought the file size down to 8GB still with CQ18. There really is no downside to using constant quality. Only reason I see to use a hard bit rate is if I'm trying to fit it on a medium that has a finite size limitation.
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote