View Single Post
Old 16th May 2018, 21:22   #50869  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
If upscaling 1080p to 4K, you can indeed add detail to the image. Image upscaling will approximate what a low resolution image would look like if it was a high resolution image. There are four times as many pixels in a 1080p source upscaled to 4K. Unless you use Nearest Neighbor for upscaling, those new pixels will add detail to the image that was not there previously.

I am a big fan of your knowledge and have used a lot of information you have passed on and lessons learnt from you, but I have to disagree with your statement, this is like saying all 2k masters to 4k UHDs are at most slightly better detail and this is after a studio and techs and mastering equipment messes with it, are you telling me an app, as wonderful as it is, is capable of adding detail to a 1080p image to make it as good as 4K, I get a 720p to 1080p idea of this, but 1080p to 4k, I dont think so.

If you scale chroma separately, the chroma layer will be slightly lower quality. This is not overly important when doing a large downscale, so you can check this if you need to save resources. The only thing important is the quality of image downscaling. I would recommend using SSIM 1D 100%. If you select this, you may be able to uncheck the chroma quality checkbox with your graphics card.

I think I tried that, that was my original setting with it, messed about with DXVA yesterday, never saw much of a difference, but, I ticked the trade quality, and went back to lots of high settings again anyway

As for HDR -> SDR conversion, it is completely up to experimentation. There are many settings because it is a work-in-progress. The setting "dumb - convert gamut late" is popular, while there doesn't seem to be consensus on the best scientific method. The target nits is like a brightness adjustment, and you can use any value you want, as long as the image looks good to your eyes. There is no scientifically accurate value. Higher target nits will crush the low end in attempt to increase the detail of the specular highlights at the top end, but this can lead to black crush at high enough values.

Understood. But I was hoping there was explanations on what each part did (not that I would understand it tbh), but I think you can agree most of the options we have are very discernible at best, so just a general this does this would help most I think.

I don't know what you mean by having madVR settings on top of everything all of the time. Just close it if it is stealing focus from other windows.
I hear you, but when messing with different settings to see differences and the like, it would be a lot easier to switch it to focus as you were doing this, be it custom resolutions, HDR settings and the likes, thought I was missing an easy fix thats all. But then again I only worked out quite recently that double clicking on the Mad VR icon would bring up the settings itself, rather than click click, so was just checking to see if I missed another trick
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote