View Single Post
Old 13th February 2014, 22:26   #10  |  Link
rik1138

I've never used the Scenarist BD-J tool... I just create BDJO's directly in Scenarist HDMV... But they are simple ones just to get the code to launch, we always use the ones created by either Kaleidoscope or the Java programmers for the final disc.

If the programmer has never done BD-J for Blu-ray before, you are likely going to run into difficulties. Generally, the HDMV programmer and J programmer have to work together (the HDMV programmer has to tell the J programmer where the menu video backgrounds are, what PlayList the movie/vam/etc are, what audio/subtitles are present in each PlayList and in what order, what needs to track from PlayList to PlayList, etc...) It's not really something that someone off-site can do and just hope for the best (unless they've done it before, and are very familiar with what's needed...) And you probably don't want to build up an entire Blu-ray Java core code structure from scratch, that's extremely complicated and would require a lot of testing... And don't forget resume functionality to be nice to your users... That's not built into Java like HDMV, you have to program it in...

The way to do it though would be for you to build the entire disc structure, and send a full disc image to the programmer to work with (with PlayList/Streams/other requirements in a document). The programmer then builds the menus and gets them to work, and sends a working disc image back to you for testing (or he can just send the JAR/BDJO/CERTIFICATE directories to you and you apply them to your project for further testing).

If you use Kaleidoscope, Designer won't help you since Kaleidoscope has it's own Photoshop format requirements (it reads the PSD directly). I have no idea what Designer will output for BD-J, I assume just a mosaic with a coordinate document (which is all Java needs really...), but I've never done it. (Kaleidoscope probably isn't an option though as it was a pay-per-use product. You had to re-license the software for every title you used it on, and were given special licensing keys for that title. That way they could monitor if a disc was programmed with a pirated copy of the software (assuming it was ever cracked/pirated). They knew the title of every disc that used their software. Although, now that they are gone, I'm not sure how that's monitored...)

I'm not familiar with DoStudio personally, but I believe that's another option for Java based discs that will do a lot of the work for you (I think it can even build the disc structure, although I know it works with Scenarist too). You can do 'game-type' Java apps and Live stuff as well, and it's currently available (and I believe will also support 4k content in the future, assuming a disc-based format is released...). This product is now owned/developed by Sony, so it's got that going for it...
rik1138 is offline   Reply With Quote