View Single Post
Old 1st July 2019, 14:13   #3196  |  Link
manolito

Sorry for the late reply, I am just back from my annual motorcycle trip...
Austrian and Swiss mountains this time, very nice driving, a little bit too hot for my taste.

The AviSynth source filters do not really have an influence on quality, it's more like some work better on specific source formats than others. The default "A2DSource" is not a source filter by itself, instead it tries several source filters until it finds one which does not issue an error message. It tries the filters in this order: AVISource, DSS2Mod, FFMpegSource, DirectShowSource. Mostly you will end up with DSS2Mod which works very well with most sources.

The different resizers are really a matter of personal taste. Some resizers are sharper than others, often with the downside that they introduce ringing artifacts. My all time favorite is Spline36Resize for upscaling and downscaling, it is very neutral without visible artifacts. BlackmanResize is also a very high quality resizer.

For NTSC-film to PAL conversions the PAL-Speedup method is the most widely used method. It does not introduce judder, but for audio with musical content some folks will notice the audio speedup due to the higher pitch. If you want to speed up audio, but keep the original pitch you can do that by editing the AVS script to use the AviSynth TimeStretch function. But this has a tendency to create audible artifacts, you may want to use external commercial timestretch software which delivers better quality.

A while ago I found an excellent script at VideoHelp which avoids all these disadvantages. Gavino was involved in creating this script, and this always means that it is state of the art...

Progressive 23.976 NTSC to Progressive 25 PAL.avs:
Quote:
# Alternative method avoiding speedup or pulldown.
# No audio speed correction required.
# Insert after the resizer.

# -------------------------------------------------------------

Last = Video
f1=ChangeFPS(24)
f2=Trim(0,-1).AssumeFPS(24) + Trim(1,0).ChangeFPS(24)
Film=Merge(f1,f2)
p1=ChangeFPS(Film,25)
p2=Trim(Film,0,-1).AssumeFPS(25) + Trim(Film,1,0).ChangeFPS(25)
Pal=Merge(p1,p2)
Last = PAL.AssumeFPS(25)
Video = Last

#-------------------------------------------------------------
To use this method you select Pal-Speedup in AVStoDVD. Then paste the above script into the AVS script which was created by AVStoDVD just after the resizer command. Finally you need to delete the whole "AssumeFPS" call (but keep the SSRC or ResampleAudio command).

If you have more questions don't be shy to ask...

Good luck
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 2nd July 2019 at 15:53.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote