View Single Post
Old 4th June 2020, 08:24   #4  |  Link
Nico8583

Thanks both

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Theoretically possible but not actually possible. We need info about how to use DV metadata that we do not have. I am not sure how public the process to create HDR10+ metadata is either. I doubt we will ever see anything besides converting both of those formats to HDR10, not to each other.

Also there are lots of possibilities under "Dolby Vision" most of which are very strange and would be impossible to covert to HDR10+ without some loss, everything except profile ID 5. There is probably something else about profile 5 that does not directly translate to HDR10+ too.

Definitions of Dolby Vision bitstream profiles on page 8:
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...les-levels.pdf
Yes DoVi is very strange, if I read it correctly it can uses metadata (profile ID5 or ID8) or it can uses a FHD video stream (profile ID4 or ID7) as enhancement layer ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post
Well, DoVi has a tone mapper, and it could tone map to a nominal HDR10 base layer, from which dynamic metadata could be auto generated. I don't think there's any way to directly remap the metadata, though.
Ok so if I want to encode a DoVi movie to play it on a Samsung TV (only HDR10+, not DoVi) I can't do it. The only way is to encode the movie to HDR10 and to lose dynamic metadata ?
Nico8583 is offline   Reply With Quote