View Single Post
Old 25th June 2019, 04:51   #28574  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
Huh? That doesn't make any sense. If it was shot 16:9, how can you miss anything that is above/below? How about missing more stuff on the right/left to make a 2.40:1 image? No matter how you frame it, there is always more stuff all around what is shot. Whatever resolution was used, that is how it was shot and framed.
MrVideo.. I understand what JD is getting across. It's a challenging one for people whom are hyper analytical and intuitive based, and NOT into "Instincts" at all. As said to my Girlfriend to myself, and myself to her.. Haaa! Maybe this will get across. When you see stuff outside the Camera Eye it's not recorded, and a producer sees those. Attempts to get as much as possible into the shot. S/he knows what's outside of the lines on the Camera..but we Don't...unless we watch the "Making Of". If you're really anal about it all..you can become so fixated on the differences between the resolutions that you miss the content that's actually there.

Quote:
Wow, this harks back to the old letterbox complaining days when video tapes and DVDs were released that contained letterbox bars on the top and bottom. People complained that their TV screen wasn't filled with the image. Were you one of those? If it was shot in 4:3, I want all of that 4:3 image on my screen. Pillar bars do not bother me. If letterbox bars do not bother you, why should pillar bars?

Not a random decision.
I had a real problem with Letter box and not...for a few years. With Betamax, VHS, and DVDs. When I discovered that Letterbox _actually_ included the entire scene as the maker intended, I was Goooooood...even though I had to look a bit closer. I could "see" everything, not anymore P&S, errmm...stuff anymore.

Nothing is truly random and nothing is pre-planned on a huge level, but for the scope of most people..people R.I.P. and things happen by "chance" and everything is pre-determined. -- When you resize, is what you want still there IN the new size? Or is something cut from the image?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Sigh... you seem to also be an expert at missing the point.
Haha...aren't we all...at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
To me it is all one and the same. I don't think that the producers of The Brady Bunch will appreciate that you, or anyone who does the cropping, thinks that their show isn't deserving of the full 4:3 viewing treatment.

But yes, we will never agree on this matter.
He means there are differences between Film and TV in respects to cropping.

Last edited by AmigaFuture; 25th June 2019 at 04:59.
AmigaFuture is offline   Reply With Quote