View Single Post
Old 18th December 2020, 01:31   #11  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by nji View Post
I was focussing on manual timecode edit as AviSynth's DeDup has that 20 frames sequence lenght limitation.
It would be nice if someone could mod that to something larger

I'm seeing compatibility issues with some players and container combinations as you use very low equivalent FPS's

I got 1 sec frames, 30 frames to work for the 30min example in MPCHC, Potplayer in MKV container, but it needed to be remuxed to MP4 for VLC, MPV . It's a bit flaky behaviour. Going lower than this gets worse

Pure duplicates , such as slideshows, don't "cost" much. Just increase the --bframes to 16 .

A low FPS, e.g. 1FPS, with duplicates, --bframes 16, long GOP will not have those flaky compatibility issues . Your audio stream will often be larger than your video stream

In my test example,

1min frames, all I -frames so seekable each minute, 30 frames, crf 20 video stream 397kb - some players have issues with some containers (e,g mp4 might not work for some, mkv for others)

1fps CFR , 1800 frames, keyframes every min (every 60 frames) ,crf 20 16bframes video stream 669kb 60x more frames, 1.65x the size, no compatibility issues because CFR

1fps CFR , 1800 frames, keyframes every 5 min (every 300 frames) ,crf 20 16bframes video stream 227kb . So this was smaller than the VFR I-frame encode, because of fewer keyframes

I could have used long gop for the VFR encode, and that would make it smaller, but it was already showing some compatibility issues in some players

In this example audio was 7.55Mb low bitrate MP3, so proportionaly much larger than the video streams .

It will vary a bit depending on what the content is exactly, but pure duplicates "cost" very little
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote