View Single Post
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:47   #21582  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

"How does it look" compared to what? Your real question is probably this:

Is it better to watch 1080p content on a 30" 1080p display? Or is it better to watch 1080p content on a 30" 1440p display, using madVR upscaling?

If this is your question, then I can't answer it because I have no way to test that. The only way you could fairly test this is if you had two 30" display, one with 1080p physical resolution and one with 1440p physical resolution, so you could play the same movie on both and compare directly. Without such a direct comparison, I find it hard to say whether upscaling is beneficial or not. That said, it depends on the upscaling factor. The bigger the scaling factor, the higher the chances upscaling can be beneficial. With scaling factors south of 1.2x I would guess that upscaling is not beneficial, maybe even harmful. However, if you approach a 2.0x factor, upscaling is going to look *a lot* better. So playing back 1080p content on a 4K display should look noticeably better than playing back 1080p content on a 1080p display of the same size. But this is only true if you sit close enough to see the difference. If you sit far enough away, the difference will vanish into thin air...
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote