Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 26th September 2013, 19:24   #37  |  Link
ultim
AVS+ Dev

Very unfortunately, me and IanB seem to have reached an impasse. I have received constructive PMs though from forum readers, some relating to how I present my patches, some regarding communications, but all encouraging. I'll be continuing my slow-ish efforts at improving Avisynth, and because upstream acceptance does not seem realistic ATM, I'll be forking the project (well, technically speaking, I already have). I wanted to avoid this, because forking has many downsides. Downsides like even more fragmentation, a lessened likelyhood of both projects benefitting from each other's improvements, and a bitter aftertaste in the mouth on both sides, I guess. The more optimistic amongst you can however spot advantages too, like not having to be constrained by the ideals and rules of the father project. I'll post more information about goals and such in my own thread.

Anyway, I just wanted to give you an update, to prevent you from thinking that I'm gone. This will be my last post "contaminating" this thread, and I'll create a thread of my own the next time, which will be when I post my next release. I have already synched with 2.6 alpha5 (synching was not a big deal), and have a large chunk a new code in place which completely (like, from scratch) replaces the plugin handling and loading. Also, Groucho2004 was right after all when he found something was off with out-of-memory handling in my build, so we'll see what I can do about that. It has to do with me using set_seh_translator and /EHa, which IS the correct thing to do on all VS2003 and above, but AFAICT it causes unhandled std::bad_alloc exceptions not to be swallowed silently anymore... which the project seemingly has relied upon? I've still got to take an exact look at that, but I know I'm on the right track. Anyway, back to my plugin-handling code, it makes script loading percievably faster if you have a lot of plugins, and it is also much cleaner from a developer's perspective. Oh, and expect support for multiple plugin directories too.

To finish forking, I guess the only thing left to do is to find a name for the fork. Feel free to send me any suggestions, I am torn between using something "Avisynth"-like or not. First of all, it'd be natural to do it, because my fork is Avisynth in its core. Admittedly, I am still relying on a large existing code base, so it'd be misleading to try to present the fork as something completely different. On the other hand, it would also be aggressive and disrespectful from me to have a name like Avisynth 3-4-5-6..., Avisynth-X, -NG, or who knows what suffix. So let me know what you think or if you have any ideas. I'm very interested in Ian's oppinion too, so I'd be thankful if he shared his preferences on naming with us. Of course I'm not asking him to come up with specific names for me, I'd just like to know what kinds of names are okay for me to use from an official perspective.

Cheers

Last edited by ultim; 26th September 2013 at 19:31.