View Single Post
Old 11th May 2017, 18:03   #18  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Never forget to see advantages and disadvantages in the context of a specific use. A tool which ignores most of the reasons for disadvantages, anyway, may focus only on the few selected advantages for its own purpose. As long as the file stays on your harddisk only, and only during a conversion job, who cares about sector numbers on optical discs where it never goes back? If you use a decoder which cannot handle playlists, but only single media files, being a continuous file is so much more important for this specific decoder than any disadvantage for authoring tools it will never go back into.

BTW, I wonder about the 2 hour limit of timecodes you mention; which format are they related to? I already worked in a DVD Authoring studio, and I do remember that Digital Betacam tapes use timecodes around +10 hours (to avoid a counter underflow during a rewind, which causes issues), and the encoded MPEG-2 video in raw can store them easily. And decoders will probably prefer timecodes in the MPEG-2 stream when indexing MPEG-PS media files (no matter with or without used DVD Video extensions supporting non-MPEG audio in Private Streams).

Of course, I can agree to your opinion. You just may be focused on some rather unusual points of view when it comes to 1) ripping, 2) decoding, 3) deleting the ripped material when the copy is finished. But I confess I don't know how much editing the author of the VideoHelp thread had in mind. Your concerns may apply there more than in my context.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is online now   Reply With Quote