View Single Post
Old 14th January 2018, 05:08   #19  |  Link
feisty2
I'm Siri

please lets just stay on topic
Quote:
I take great delight in screwing with the English language, I do know the diff between is and are, but if our colonial friends like feisty can talk rubbish, then so can I.
(All that I ask of our colonial friends is to not call it English, I have no problem with it being called American, or any other kind of patwa or pidgin english).
You can call what I sometimes speak, bad English.
ur dead wrong if u think we and our neighbor in north are "colonial", the fact now is actually the reverse, the "American" language is slowly colonizing ur place believe it or not, the English language around the globe might converge to just "American" after a few hundred yrs (there will be local dialects, I'm saying the "newscast English" around the world, the de facto standard English in different countries will converge)
also, u guys r the ones that speak and write corrupted English, take the word "color" for example, it first originated in Latin as "color", then old French took it and turned it to "colour", while u guys pick the later mutated French version as the etymology of "colour", we go straight to its real Latin origin, we use the Latin spelling as its etymology, so "color" is both more etymologically and phonetically correct, now again, who are the ones that don't speak and write English?

edit: even Shakespeare used "center" and "centre" interchangeably, just google it, what are now considered "American" were once also popular in Britain, and that's just the writing part, also about the speaking part, the rhoticity, the short "a" in words like can't, half, ask, ... the now considered "American accent" characteristics were once just the characteristics of the English pronunciation, u guys screwed the English language up and we preserved it well, don't blame that on us

edit2: to manono, don't wanna hijack this thread further so... reply here
there're a few alternatives to simplify the word "colour", "color" is just one of them, it could also be "colur" or even "coler" (makes phonetic sense), but Noah Webster picked "color" out of all possible alternatives for a good reason (see Elizabeth Henderson's answer in ur first link)

Last edited by feisty2; 14th January 2018 at 06:29.
feisty2 is offline   Reply With Quote