View Single Post
Old 15th September 2019, 18:03   #153  |  Link
Jamaika

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
I'm trying to encode them in H.266 but it's not only taking an eternity, it's also not very well parallelized as it's using 1 core at a time at 100% on my Dual Xeon setup.
There should be two by four cores when adding libgomp, but for gcc it's not. I suppose there is a bug in the VVC software.
In X265 with threads four, Number Wpp Threads is equal to two.
Is this an OpenMP software problem? I don't know. I know that VS2019 is the latest version 5.0, not 3.0 for libgomp.
Quote:
This wouldn't be a big deal, except for the fact that there's no percentage and no estimation, I have to check myself for which frame it has encoded and make a guess.
Can I ask you a progress/percentage/number of frames encoded output in cmd like the one we have in x264/x265 or even like the one in ffmpeg/ffmbc?
For config "encoder_randomaccess_vtm.cfg" isn't P-frames.
Number of frames encoded output is function "FramesToBeEncoded". There is actually no percentage of processed film.
Quote:
(I'm gonna upload the encoded file as soon as it finishes to encode).
It is a pity to damage the equipment.

I will only add that they are thinking about AVX2 & 360 suport. The codec doesn't currently work
https://vcgit.hhi.fraunhofer.de/jvet...e_requests/920

PS It is interesting for me why VVC codec is developed on HM-HEVC and not on Mainconcept, Leadtools, other HEVC.
There are currently a waste of time for novelties that are unlikely to come soon. Fast entry means throwing away all receivers HEVC.

https://www.ibc.org/create-and-produ...c/4252.article
Except that the implementation is not as easy as it may seem. All MPEG-based codecs (including AVC/H.264, HEVC/H.265 and VVC) make use of similarities between consecutive pictures. This means each encoding block needs to know about subsequent or previous images, as well as neighboring blocks. Any shortcut taken here will invariably lead to image quality degradation, and any over-engineering in the control mechanism will sacrifice the benefit of parallel processing. We aren't interested in this

Is Hybrid GPU Encoding the ultimate answer? As every use case is different, there is no single best answer. However, Hybrid GPU accelerated encoding delivers faster processing, allowing for more live channels per server, with less demand for CPU power when encoding. But, the performance of the encoder depends on a variety of factors such as the desired encoding profile, resolution, server system, GPU model, etc. In today’s world of ever-increasing quality and performance requirements, especially for live video, GPU Hybrid offers flexibility to get the most out of your investment.

Last edited by Jamaika; 15th September 2019 at 18:41.
Jamaika is offline   Reply With Quote