View Single Post
Old 25th February 2015, 05:07   #752  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
Ah, I see. I didn't know that. I use XySubFilter to watch vids with styled subtitles on MPC.

Once I try hardcoding with xy-VSFilter, I'll let you know if it worked. Hopefully, it should.
And I have to ask. Considering you already use XySubFilter, are you sure require hardsub (encode subtitles into the video, no subtitle filter required for playback) of your typesetting instead of softsub (mux into an mkv or external script, real-time subtitle filter playback)? Generally speaking, you should only hardsub something as a last resort since it hurts video compression. What exactly is your intended end goal and use-case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
By the way, is VSFilterMod outdated in comparison with xy-VSFilter? As in... is there any advantages of using VSFMod over xy-VSF?
Different purposes, as they clearly state on the VSFilterMod project page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSFilterMod Project Page
DON'T USE MOD VERSION FOR SOFTSUB. ONLY FOR HARDSUB! This is karaoke tool.
VSFilterMod is intended for hardsubbing only and contains extra tags and functionality at the expense of compatibility. If you are an advanced user who has already hit the limit of what is easily possible standard VSFilter, it may be easier to create some extremely complex typesetting or karaoke effects. Scripts authored by VSFilterMod are not intended for playback or distribution as external or softsubbed scripts. VSFilterMod is not your only option in this hardsub only, advanced effect, category. There are also things like SSBRenderer which have started to define their own typesetting subtitle format, not even using ass scripts as a base.

xy-VSFilter is general purpose, and maintains a generally static feature set and tag behavior matching legacy VSFilter 2.39 (last official version released by original author Gabest, with behavior generally considered to define the .ass spec itself) with broad compatibility and interoperability in mind. It is intended for authoring, playback, softsubbing, hardsubbing, as well as external script distribution. The primary goal of xy-VSFilter specifically, is playback performance of complex typesetting and karaoke. xy-VSFilter also happens to be the default subtitle renderer for script authoring in Aegisub, and should generally be compatible for playback with MPC-HC VSFilter and Libass as well.

XySubFilter is intended for playback only. It allows higher quality subtitle rendering than xy-VSFilter, as well as scaling to high resolution in a VSFilter compatible way to maintain general visual appearance matching that of hardsubbing.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 25th February 2015 at 05:10.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote