View Single Post
Old 4th April 2011, 22:40   #149  |  Link
hello_hello

And once again, nobody has argued that quality results won't vary a little according to the drive used to test the disc. Nobody has argued about the way discs are checked for quality.

It's fairly simple. A disc checked for quality using drive "A" will show the disc has a "X" amount of errors and is of "X" quality. Checking the same disc in a different drive will probably give slightly different results, but generally the quality will still be roughly the same. A disc which looks good in one drive will still look good when tested in another. A disc which looks bad when tested using one drive will still look bad in another. When you've got something which proves otherwise, let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
....as I said, I had once that DL with some 1300 PIs, yet it was played flawlessly (perfect reading curve) on the PC, yet had problems with a standalone. No wonder.
No wonder???
You mean you weren't suprised after you tested the disc quality, found it to be poor, and then discovered it wouldn't play in a standalone which isn't as good at reading poor quality discs as the PC's drive? Why weren't you surprised if the disc quality test didn't mean anything?

Once again, we're not talking about a drive's ability to read a poor quality disc, we're discussing being able to test a disc for quality. Your example of a drive still being able to read a disc after the same drive reporting the disc as having a high number of PIs proves they're not the same thing.

There's no need to repeat the information regarding disc quality being a "standard", or repeat the need for precise information to obtain the "real" quality etc. I get it, and repeating it again as though I don't will only have me thinking you must be stupid. Testing for quality isn't an exact science when using the average PC drive and testing software. I get it. I really do.

Dogway asked how he could test the quality of his discs. You told him in no uncertain terms nobody can measure the quality of a disc. I, on the other hand, maintain that while testing a disc for quality is not an exact science, anyone can test a disc for quality and obtain results which are still a very good indication as to the quality of the disc (as long as you're using a drive which reports errors etc). You do it, I do it and everyone else in this thread has done it. Except for Dogway of course, because you've told him he can't.
Maybe you're simply incapable of understanding this alternative viewpoint, or maybe you really don't agree with it, but either way you've offered nothing to prove it's not correct.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote