View Single Post
Old 7th October 2017, 18:38   #46298  |  Link
Fabulist

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

Sounds complicated. But if you look at "el Filou"'s recent posts, he also reported issues with black & white levels, and for him the "content type" was involved in finding a solution.

For me it's extremely difficult to help in this case because every TV behaves differently, and some have really weird options. E.g. look at mrmarioman's recent post. He had to switch a very specific option in this TV to make it work.
It is complicated: I suppose that if everything was working as intended and under ideal conditions the TV should identify the content properly, as defined from NVIDIA's CP/Software and calibrate accordingly. Of course it does not really work for me nor did it solve my problem, it instead introduced different ones in some cases. Note that I am using a custom mode, clean in some sense. It is close to THX's modes but with a "Normal" colour temperature and native colour space instead of the "Warm" and 709 colour space the THX mode prefers. I have no powerful image enhancing gimmicks or specials enabled. The issue is seen across all modes, especially on Dynamic mode which toys with the dark levels a lot.

I did read el Filou's (and everyone's) posts about the issue, but the grey blacks strike to me as a different issue from this one, I could be wrong though. However, considering that my issue persists across 3 different graphics cards from 3 different generations, this is a TV problem and not an NVIDIA problem I suppose. It is also not a cable / receiver / player problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Well, I would need to have my hands on your PC and TV to figure out what's going on exactly. I can't really solve this issue remotely. It's possible that your TV is simply broken in such a way that it can't properly handle RGB input with correct black & white levels from your GPU, for some reason. Or maybe it needs a very specific set of options to be activated.

In any case, as the other users already indicated, THX and Cinema modes are *usually* the most accurate modes. If you don't like them that could mean that they're broken on your TV. Or it could mean that you're so used to the "wrong" modes that the accurate modes look bad to you now. It's impossible for me to judge. When using THX or Cinema modes, if you disregard the warm colors and bad "look" to your eyes, do the black & white levels at least work correctly? If so, that would be a clue as to why they might not work correctly in the other modes.
I really do not think what I am seeing can be accurate in terms of colour temperature on the THX/Cinema modes but I am no expert, as I said before; this is a matter of preference for me and others with which we calibrated the settings, it could be we are simply wrong. We compared the video we are getting from THX/Cinema modes to a real cinema theater, and the one major issue persisted; the colours were significantly more yellowish than what was expected or seen on a cinema theater. We did read online about how accurate and 'correct' THX modes are supposed to be and we were patient over multiple screenings until we get "used to it" - but we never did get used to it, everything looked unnaturally yellowish among other things.

With that said, switching the colour temperature to "Normal" from "Warm" does make a significant improvement in these THX/Cinema modes, they do not look as broken anymore. But they were still not the best we could get via manually customized settings. Lastly, unfortunately the issue persists among every single mode and mode/setting combination, but not when playing blu-ray discs on a player - so this is not a mode or eye issue (hopefully). I did also run various black and white calibration tests that confirmed this.

Thank you very much for your time and discussion everyone, I will update if I find a valid solution to this that could benefit others. Thanks again!
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote