View Single Post
Old 17th July 2020, 22:19   #29636  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
Encoding a HD BD 1920x1080 source with NVEnc is done with h264 (AVC) only. I can't select h265 (HEVC). Is this because my 1050ti does not support B-frames for HEVC?
Not that it matters, it's just a question.
It follows the same rules as X265/X264. The only way to force a 1920x1080 source to HEVC would be with ALTERNATE output.

I am working on that ability -- to create a 1080p HEVC (UHD format) disc -- but I disabled that code for this release because I haven't tested it very well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman0208 View Post
HEVC is for UHD-BD only ... wouldn't be compliant with (Full-HD) BD
I think BD-RB has always been like that (also with x264/x265) to be compliant with disc standards.

Seems to work for Alternate Encoding though
The UHD standard also allows 1080p using HEVC. So that part should be available soon. See the table below from the Part 3 Whitepaper.

But, just as an aside... I have tried other formats (720p and 480p) using HEVC and UHD (V3) disc output and they also play on my Sony player -- so I might put a hidden option that allows HEVC there as well. It would be a great non-standard-but-working capability for creating series discs, since HEVC looks a lot better at lower bitrates. I'm usually hesitant to step out of the standard -- but I'd bet that most UHD players will accept it since the format/type tables have settings for it.
Attached Images

Last edited by jdobbs; 17th July 2020 at 22:33.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote