View Single Post
Old 15th December 2015, 19:46   #34682  |  Link

So my display is currently calibrated to 100 nits, since that is the intended reference level for SDR.
I can get that up to 300-350 or so if I disable backlight scanning, trading motion clarity for brightness.
But with HDR content not being very common right now, I'd be more inclined to just compress HDR sources to 100 nits than mess with creating a new preset on the TV that I have to switch to. Do you plan on extending the range of options for this?

It's not clear to me whether you're doing this algorithmically (in which case perhaps we could just enter a value from say 48-10000 in the box?) or if these are hand-tuned presets that you have created, in which case adding more options would be a lot of work.
HDR is looking pretty good on an SDR display now though. Another impressive addition to madVR.

Something that I was wondering though: I believe that one of the videos I have is HDR, but lacking any of the metadata, as it has that very desaturated, washed-out look that HDR videos did prior to this update.
Is there any way to tag a file as HDR, or is it basically beyond repair if that metadata is missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
BFI at low frame rates like 60Hz will strobe way too much. Its best done inside the TV/Monitor which can drive the panel/backlight at much higher rates.
madshi has commented before that there are no immediate plans for this.
It really depends on the display. If you're limited to a 60Hz input, you're correct that BFI is not a very useful feature to have.
If your display accepts 120Hz though, you can use BFI to give you an effective 24/48/72/96Hz depending on your preference.
I can see this being a very desirable feature once 120Hz OLED displays get here, since you can't count on the display manufacturers to give you comprehensive BFI options. LG's current OLEDs don't have any options for BFI - and from what I've heard, they don't plan to add them either.

I will say that BFI, instead of backlight scanning/strobing, is largely useless on LCDs in my experience. The slow pixel response times result in much worse image quality when BFI is enabled.
On a CRT or OLED display, or anything else with fast enough switching times - perhaps a DLP projector - it does just look as though you reduced the refresh rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
You can however just mimick this with AviSynth if you really want to.
I was actually doing some testing with BFI recently, and the only way that I was able to get it working was to use AviSynth with an old version of ffdshow in MPC-HC.
JRiver wouldn't even load ffdshow, it just defaulted to its internal LAV video decoder.
And when it was working, it would occasionally drop a frame/stutter here and there.

While this worked just fine for the testing that I was doing (I wanted to see what native 24Hz would be like on a CRT) it wouldn't work if I intended to actually watch films this way. Inserting two black frames to get an effective 72Hz on a 120Hz OLED TV, for example.

So having support in madVR would be a much better solution.
I don't expect it to be a high priority item, but I would like to see BFI support at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
does anyone know if a GTX 960 is able to do 4k downscaling to 1080p (at 24fps and 60fps)? or is it too slow?
You won't be able to do it in linear light, but it handles this just fine otherwise.

Last edited by 6233638; 15th December 2015 at 19:49.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote