View Single Post
Old 18th September 2009, 20:55   #5774  |  Link
Nkotok

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow4mula View Post
nope it works pretty good actually. i've done two blurays with dts-ma hd and a few old hd-dvd discs and one bluray with dolby truehd and they all play fine on my ps3 without issue no audio sync issues at all. standalone players should play them fine as well i would think, but i dunno i don't see the point of a standalone blu-ray player over a ps3.

1. i just use clownbd to rip out the dts-ma hd/dolby true hd audio track from the source

2. input the bluray rip as usual into ripbot and select no audio.

3. i subtract the size of unaltered audio track from 23830mb (bd-r size preset in ripbot) and select two pass and input this value into ripbot so i don't have to calculate it myself. i would factor in ~200mb additional to the size of the audio track to make sure you don't transcode too large of a video track. i did a couple movies where the resulting video track was a little too large after muxing with the unaltered audio track and i had to cut some of the credits with tsmuxer or re-encode the video track again.

3. mux the video track from ripbot and the unaltered hd audio stream with tsmuxer to bluray and burn to bd-r.

bd-r discs are coming down in price, i've seen name brand stuff dip below $3.00 in quantities of 15, so for a movie i want a good backup of i am willing to spend a few bucks (plus some in electricity lol with these twp core i7 setups i have).

atak could add this functionality pretty easy i would think so it is as simple as creating a dvd-dl backup using ac3 5.1/dts 5.1 audio. it would be cool to see that happen since there is no reason to convert to lpcm for all hd audio sources. it just wastes space and possibly could lose quality. it also makes incompatible lpcm tracks that tsmuxer errors out on with sync issues. that is why it just dawned upon me to use the unaltered hd audio instead of converting it to lpcm. the only benefit i see to lpcm is it might be more widely compatible to some standalone bluray players? i know ripbot will always take 24 bit hd audio and downsample it to 16 bit to save space, but why even do that? also if you just mux the original hd audio track you don't have to screw with installing any kind of dts-ma hd decoder like arcsoft because you aren't converting to lpcm.

i would love to see ripbot just load a bluray playlist with the option to truly stream copy the dts-ma hd/true hd tracks and just transcode the video without using multiple tools. all clownbd is comprised of is eac3to and tsmuxer (i believe). this will truly be the optimal method as bd-r media continues to fall in price. even every 7.1 dts-ma hd track i have seen is only 5-7gb, so that still leaves a great deal of room for the transcoded video.

the only drawback with manually muxing with this method is you lose the chapter points, so the default is 5min intervals after this, but i don't really care about that at all...i think the predefined chapter points are pretty useless and would rather have fixed intervals. i'm sure there is probably a way to keep original chapter points with tsmuxer, but i could care less.

and just imho i still liked hd-dvd better as a format over blu-ray. honestly you don't need near 50gb of space for a damn movie. 30gb is more than sufficient with a good 1080p encode and writeable hd-dvd dl would probably been cheaper than bd-r.

i just did the king kong hd-dvd -> bd-r with this method and to me it is one of the best looking movies ever to be released on either format. it fits comfortably on a 30gb hd-dvd with hd audio and it is over 3 hours of runtime. i still wish hd-dvd was around so we might have gotten cheaper writeable 30gb discs. oh well.

here is my vote for true stream copying of hd audio tracks with ripbot

with a blu-ray to bd-r backup keeping the original audio track intact my original blu-ray could burn in a fire and i wouldn't feel like i really lost anything for $3 bucks and some time that is definately worth it to me.

again thanks atak for writing such a bomb gui/application. we all appreciate it!
I tried this way finally and have a couple of questions.
First, when you are extracting audio only through Clown_BD, what output format do you choose? I used TSmuxer's demux instead of Clown_BD to rip the audio off.

And secondly, after I used Ripbot for video only and then tried to mux it with the HD audio in TSmuxer, it worked but in the result the program always seems to show "B-pyramid level detected, shift DST 2 frames" (or something like that).
Does anybody know what this b-pyramid is and why it happens and if it is bad or not?
Nkotok is offline   Reply With Quote