View Single Post
Old 28th March 2016, 18:18   #212  |  Link
CountryBumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I think I do mention everything you need to know about queues and present times already, but in the second post.

CPU queue size: [16] The buffer in system memory for decoded video and xySubFilter subtitles.
GPU queue size: [8] The buffer in the graphics memory for madVR’s rendering.
how many video frames shall be presented in advance or how many backbuffers shall be used: [8 or 3] A final buffer after madVR is done rendering.

At the start of "More Advanced Topics" I have:
"The sum of the average stats "deinterlace" (if present), "rendering", and "present" should be a bit below the frame time in the line "v-sync [X] ms, frame [Y] ms" to avoid dropped frames and presentation glitches."

Do I need a "Trouble Shooting" section in "Advanced Topics" so people do not miss it? Or maybe simply a "madVR OSD" section instead? I think I like that idea, I will add that before Advanced Topics.

I did update the description of "how many video frames shall be presented in advance" to:

Is this better?

Thanks.
I would love to see a "Troubleshooting Section". I think it would be very helpful to those of us that are technically challenged in this area.

I found this info posted by madshi (about page 10 of madVR thread):

If you want to give madVR even a chance to achieve smooth playback you have to achieve an "average gpu rendering time" that is a notch lower than the "movie frame interval". I'd say it should not be higher than 35ms for 23.976 playback.

Now the optimal configuration for madVR is if you drive the display with the same refresh rate the source is in (in your case 23.976Hz). If you have to use 59.940Hz, things get slightly more difficult for madVR. In that case you may have to bring "average gpu rendering time" down even more.

and

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesgrey3 View Post
The frame rendering is ~14ms. For playing in my monitor at 72Hz (13.9ms) is not enough, but should be fine to use with my projector at 48Hz (20ms). If I use Lanczos or Spline resampling the rendering time jumps to ~20ms, so I should not be able to use those resamplers with smooth playing...
You would be right if madVR needed to draw a *new* Blu-Ray frame every VSync. But if it did that, you'd get 3x respectively 2x as fast movie playback as you should get. madVR has to skip lots of VSyncs with your refresh rates. Because of that the most important reference time is not the "vsync interval" but the "frame interval".

This is the "kind of info" I am looking for when it comes to troubleshooting (understand the Stats).

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by CountryBumkin; 28th March 2016 at 18:26.
CountryBumkin is offline   Reply With Quote