View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2017, 20:10   #1447  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romario View Post
Can you please optimize your fantastic program for AMD Ryzen arhitecture ? Can you do it before final version come ? Thank you.

Is there any audio codec, at the moment, being optimized for Ryzen ?

As ilustration, look at this image in my attachment, please
Development of LAME is pretty much dead. So don't expect any optimizations for "new" processors any time soon

Having said that, there is no "magic" optimization that would make LAME run a lot faster on Zen architecture all of a sudden! Yes, LAME could probably benefit from using "modern" instruction set extensions, such as AVX or AVX2 – at the moment the assembler code in LAME only uses the SSE and SSE2 extensions – but this "problem" is not specific to the Zen architecture at all. TTBOMK, the Zen architecture did not even introduce a new instruction set extension.

The reason why Ryzen 1800X performs relatively "bad" with LAME mp3 encoder is because LAME – just like most audio encoders – is completely single-threaded. And, given the current state of LAME development, I doubt this is ever going to change. Furthermore, it is well known that single-core performance still is the "weak spot" of the Zen architecture (compared to Intel Core i7 processors), even though things have been improved quite a lot since Bulldozer architecture.

As others have pointed out: You will need to run many LAME instances in parallel to take full advantage of a Ryzen processor with 16 logic cores – which is exactly what LameXP does

Quote:
Well I see my attachment without any problem. Strange...
Attachments need to be approved by a mod, before other users can see/access them. I wasn't close to a computer in the last couple of days, so I couldn't approve it until now.

Quote:
How can I use optimised lame 3.99.5 builds? While LameXP doesn't allow to change which lame build I use.
You can make LameXP use a custom build of LAME by putting your custom binary at the proper place, just like it is described in the F.A.Q. article that manolito quoted (not ported to new manual yet).

Don't expect any wonders, though! LameXP already ships with up-to-date binaries of LAME 3.100 Alpha – including 64-Bit build with AVX compiler-optimizations enabled. The "best" build is automatically selected, based on the CPU's capabilities.

Note: Those compiler optimizations have a lesser effect on performance. That's because all the "hot" functions, where the vast majority of the CPU time is spent, already are written as hand-optimized assembler code...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 3rd May 2017 at 21:30.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote