View Single Post
Old 2nd July 2020, 01:22   #5  |  Link
BobbyBoberton

Quote:
Originally Posted by excellentswordfight View Post
I'm not sure if I understand the issue, just set the flags that matches the source in your re-encode? I dont understand why you wanna add tone map in the mix? I dont use handbreak though, but I have a hard time believing that newer versions cant handle 10bit input properly.

These are the relevant HDR10 metadata flags in x265 (max-cll and master-display values may differ from source to source), and you can just "extract" them by using mediainfo.

If you dont want to compile ffmpeg, just use an zeranoe build, they include x265 and are publicly available.
I did compile FFMpeg myself, I just didn't want to interrupt the 50+ files I had in queue in handbrake, and no, if I sent colorprim, transfer, colormatrix, master-display, max-cll in handbrake (using x265 main 10) it will spit out a file with those 'HDR tags' but the colorprim/colormatrix is set to bt.709 even if I specify smpte2084 in the extra opts.

I don't want to bring in the tone mapping stuff if it is not necessary, it is just the best info I have bee able to find or been told on other forums for preserving HDR10 metadata.

If I run a video that I shot from my phone through my nVidia shield on my TV it will go into 'HDR' mode but if I run it through handbrake with all the correct options set,
Quote:
(options being: crf=23:no-sao=1:aq-mode=3:max-merge=4:keyint=60:bframes=3:repeat-headers=1:colorprim=bt2020:transfer=smpte2084:colormatrix=bt2020nc:master-display="G(13250,34500)B(7500,3000)R(34000,16000)WP(15635,16450)L(10000000,500)":strong-intra-smoothing=0:hdr10=1:deblock=-2,-3)
and then play that reencoded file on my TV through the same means it does not pick up any 'hdr' info and just plays and an SDR video.

I have gotten CLI FFmpeg working, I will see if using that properly conserves HDR metadata, but, what I am hearing from you is that I should not go down the road of using UHD.mkv -> DNxHR -> 3dLut with DaVinci Resolve -> export DNxHR with lut applied -> reencode to HEVC. This seemed like a ton of work for something that is relatively simple, its not like its HDR10+ dynamic metadata, so I thought there should be a simple way to do it.

BobbyBoberton is offline   Reply With Quote