View Single Post
Old 19th May 2009, 14:19   #7  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmendrapolk View Post
They are mixed as the same track (& I guess they are each separate chapters within the track?), so I guess that could be the problem, no?

The menu screen, however, is also in 16:9 & it suffers from the same issue.

using DVD media player: it seems to get the ratio right, but if I try to zoom to fit monitor, it will still only take up a portion of the screen in the center. Only if I select zoom to widescreen does it render properly, but then the 4:3 clips don't

Why would I have to flag it for a particular TV? Shouldn't a DVD be playable on multiple devices.

See screen shot
Yes, you're not allowed by the DVD specs to mix 16:9 with 4:3 within the same track (VTS). So you tricked somehow TMPGENC to do this because it normally refuses with an error. Or you encoded the files from the beginning with the wrong parameters in Pinnacle thus TMPGENC didn't complain. Which made the DVD fully compliant but messed up the ARs.

If you really really really need to do this, then do the following:

1. import the first file normally. It will set the AR (16:9 or 4:3) for the whole track.
2. each subsequent file should be patched, if necessary, to this AR (only the first header suffices)
3. click Ok several times to reach the point where you can add more files to the same track
4. before adding the next one repatch the current file back to its original values.
5. now repeat 2-4 for each subsequent file.
6. do the rest of the authoring
7. burn the DVD (or DVDRW for testing).

Do not try to patch back the file when it is still opened by TMPGENC (that's step 3 for).

It depends however on the player if it would accept such a nonstandard disc or not. I think all DVD-recorders can accept such a mixed AR DVDs since they are forced to record programs with variable ARs: the most relevant case is of a real 16:9 movie having commercials (usually 4:3).

Last edited by Ghitulescu; 19th May 2009 at 14:31.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote