View Single Post
Old 5th November 2018, 09:29   #53585  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDR View Post
It does cut it though. I just checked and I can do NGU Sharp Medium for chroma, although just barely at 40ms. NGU Low is easier.
For you, for me it wouldn't. Just barely? No thanks.

Quote:
There's no downscaling on a 4k screen so no need for SSIM.
I'm well aware, however I do downscale.

Quote:
If you guys want to suggest to the guy he needs to upgrade to a $600 card to run madVR in 4k at good settings I'm going to disagree, having had this setup for several years.
A 1060 6GB can be had for $250 USD and offers considerable performance improvement unlocking higher quality settings and without the "just barely" GPU loading and fan noise that accompanies it.

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend buying a 960 now, but you absolutely do not need to upgrade to something better at this point, and I think anyone who does thinking there is going to be some magical improvement is going to be disappointed.
What is it? You can't recommend it or it's perfectly suitable?
Having jumped from a 960 myself to a 1060 I can tell you as far as upgrades go it was pretty magical. You're using medium quality settings and only just scraping by on 24fps content which given how close you are to the frame time will likely lead to frame drops.
Suitable for you perhaps, plenty of users of 1060's and above would disagree with you there, we've all run lower tier cards in the past.

Quote:
It will give you more headroom, that's about it.
We don't buy beyond low tier cards to just "gain headroom"
Like huhn said, you can't do 60fps at those settings and you won't get the highest quality HDR processing either. It suits your viewing habits only. Not good advice, sorry.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote