vampiredom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkiller View Post
Nice table!.
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkiller View Post
The table assumes the 480x576/480 pixels used in SVCD make up a 4:3 frame
Yeah, it really is all about the "should" thing. Of course, there is no way of knowing what somebody did when they made that SVCD and, if it was made from a DVD source, if the source was correct to begin with. However, I am pretty sure that most DVD players and player software will assume the same standard, so using this PARs in AviSynth will get you no worse results that you'd see when watching the original SVCD (or DVD, or whatever).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
I don't think you can really generalise and say something like "crop to a width of 704 then use this pixel aspect ratio" etc. and know it'll be correct much of the time, because there's no way to know it will be.
I can't. But, I can say that this is how it should work out. If somebody did not adhere to the standard then that is their error (and, if the error is bad enough, you'll have to compensate for it). Same point as above: This is only so that you can "restore" the frame size the way that a DVD/SVCD player would.

More and more, however, I believe that discs will be sticking to the standard... because, finally, most editing software is using the same standard, digital TV broadcasts are using the same standards, etc. For many years, it was not this way (I still remember Adobe using 0.9000 for NTSC in version CS3, etc.)

Heed Keiyakusha's words and you'll be fine: use your eyes, too!
vampiredom is offline   Reply With Quote