View Single Post
Old 25th November 2011, 22:18   #12  |  Link
TheSkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiredom View Post
Yeah, it really is all about the "should" thing. [...] However, I am pretty sure that most DVD players and player software will assume the same standard, so using this PARs in AviSynth will get you no worse results that you'd see when watching the original SVCD (or DVD, or whatever).
Yes, the "should" is what I'm talking about, maybe I didn't say clearly what I mean: SVCD should be using the PARs I stated because that's the way they are treated by standalone players (software players are always different, they always play "dumb" and resize only to either exactly 4:3 or 16:9 which is nothing specifically related to SVCD, it's the same for 720x... DVD). And it's also the way they are derived: It makes sense that a 480x576/480 video is derived by downsizing a 720x576/480 source since nothing is 480x... to begin with. For example in digital TV transmissions the incoming signal to the MPEG encoder is pretty much for sure always 720x576/480 (or even 486), and if the broadcast is done in super-duper low bitrate in reduced resolution, like 480x..., then the encoder takes those 720x... and resizes them to 480x.... The result is of course the same as the original 720x... video but horizontally squeezed, and therefore it is still covering an area wider than 4:3 or 16:9.

In conclusion, and that's my point, if you say a video of 720x... has those particular PARs mentioned in the table then you are ought say that a video of 480x... has those PARs I mentioned, otherwise it wouldn't be consistent. 720 is 1.5 times 480, so the PAR of 480 is also 1.5 times the PAR of 720.

Last edited by TheSkiller; 25th November 2011 at 22:21.
TheSkiller is offline   Reply With Quote