View Single Post
Old 1st July 2015, 22:04   #31483  |  Link
Arm3nian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
How would a benchmark differ from simply trying it? In your examples you don't need a benchmark tool (what would it do?), set the setting and see what the rendering time is. The complexity of the possible settings is the only issue and if you pick what "128 neuron doubling" means for all the other settings, source resolution, destination resolution, etc. it is easy to "benchmark" any GPU you own at "128 neuron doubling".
I can't test a gpu's performance in madVR if I don't have the gpu. It will help when buying a new card because I can see what scores others have gotten. Users can also post stock and overclocked results. I don't want it to be an e-peen tool, just something to view relative performance. Nothing like that currently exists. The best you can do is calculate how much faster a certain gpu is from another by using non madVR benchmarks, then apply that percentage to your current gpu's render clocks and get an estimated projection. Not very accurate.

Quote:
Maybe a tool that played a stock video using a collection preset options with a particular player and at a specific resolution? It could report the average/min/max rendering times at each setting. This would be easy to do now, no special tool needed, but maybe review sites would include madVR performance if such a tool existed.
Yes this is precisely what I envision. If madVR is included in benchmarks carried out by popular sites it will gain more publicity and attract more users, including enthusiasts.

Quote:
However, it sounds like a lot of work, certainly more work than the benefit justifies before version 1.0 of madVR.

madVR is changing fast so it isn't time for standard benchmark tools yet.
I agree, there are lots of new things happening currently. When it is a bit more finalized then a benching tool can be of use.
Arm3nian is offline   Reply With Quote