View Single Post
Old 24th May 2020, 00:05   #411  |  Link
Katie Boundary

I just realized that, since Joel is putting a GUIDE together and not distributing full video files, there's room for several different AVIsynth scripts and several different target frame rates, with notes on why people might want to select - or not select - each one.

I'd also love to see some examples of what happens when an interlaced frame gets put through AI upscaling.

Oh and I just noticed this article:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTech
If you don’t want to run content at 29.97fps, there’s another option — re-encode it at 23.976fps. Convert the interlaced frames, lower the frame rate, and you’ll end up with imperfect, highly noticeable jerks and jumps during fast-paced space combat scenes — which are exactly the ones we are trying to preserve. This is known as judder. Judder sucks.
WHOA WHOA WHOA, no. That's NOT what judder is. Judder is when p24 content is displayed on a 60 hz device, or when telecined film content is bobbed or field-matched to p60, resulting in half of the frames lasting 1/20th of a second and the other half lasting 1/30th of a second, alternating, instead of each one lasting 1/24th of a second. It's not noticeable to humans, although some people claim it is. When you take higher-framerate (p30, i60) content and decimate it down to 24, that's called a "war crime".

Last edited by Katie Boundary; 24th May 2020 at 00:54.
Katie Boundary is offline   Reply With Quote