View Single Post
Old 24th May 2020, 06:15   #418  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Kay, looks good

I've been running more tests and while I still think that both the interpolation and blend variations of my script gives better results than QTGMC in the vast majority of frames, there are still a few interlaced frames where even a straight blending script with no interlacing-detection (treats all frames and pixels as interlaced), no resharpening, and no other fancy stuff...

Code:
A=Tfm(field=1,mode=0,slow=2,pp=2,mchroma=false,cthresh=-1,micmatching=0)
B=Tfm(field=0,mode=0,slow=2,pp=2,mchroma=false,cthresh=-1,micmatching=0)
interleave(A,B)
...STILL doesn't fully deinterlace:

...whereas QTGMC does:

Although this doesn't justify switching over to straight QTGMC, it does make me think that the best script for DS9 specifically might be a variation of my method that incorporates QTGMC. And because "lossless" QTGMC preserves the aberrant field order of the title at the beginning of the opening credits, but "normal" QTGMC smooths it out, this hybrid method would need to incorporate the "lossy" version of QTGMC. So, when you get a chance, try...

Code:
A=qtgmc().selecteven()
B=qtgmc().selectodd()
C=Tfm(field=1,mode=0,slow=2,mchroma=false,cthresh=-1,clip2=A,d2v="601.d2v",flags=1,micmatching=0)
D=Tfm(field=0,mode=0,slow=2,mchroma=false,cthresh=-1,clip2=B,d2v="601.d2v",flags=1,micmatching=0)

interleave(C,D)
A few fields around each scene change will get QTGMCed, but most of the frames in each shot will be perfectly restored and then left alone. For the opening credits, the comet's tail will be preserved perfectly because that part is encoded on the DVD as 24 fps progressive, but the rest of the opening credits will be 100% QTGMCed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelHruska View Post
While it's obvious that you are far from the only person to have this opinion, I would prefer a better phrase when discussing 23.976 fps playback of p30/i60 fps footage than "war crime." Is there a specific term?
"looking like unmitigated shit" is another good one.