View Single Post
Old 25th September 2019, 08:46   #1832  |  Link
excellentswordfight
Lost my old account :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post
And that is certainly what North American sports broadcasters are focused on for the next big thing: 1080p60 10-bit HEVC HDR.
So i noticed, "3G" seems to be much more a thing there than here in europe. Even if a broadcaster would like to switch to 1080p/3G most productions over here dont offer that contribution anyway. I visited a brand new station/studio in the states not that long ago, everything built on 1080p60, nothing for UHD.

I'm still not sold on HDR for live content tbh, I have played around with both PQ and HLG and both comes with backwards comparability to SDR issues and complexity, and to be frank the live productions I've seen had issues even i HDR. I'm all for "HDR" as a tech, but when it comes to real world live productions it creates a lot of headache, maybe to much for it to ever become mainstream. Something that just going 10bit (which productions in most cases already are) and just increasing the colorspace doesnt (rec2020 specc), and imo is good enough, especially on a high contrast tv-set like an oled.

Quote:
Interest in broadcast 8K is mainly in countries like Japan. South Korea, and China where there is a lot more available RF to use and where TV production is material to the national economy.
Yeah there is no suprice that it's the same countries that wanna push the consumer hw...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo Maniac 64 View Post
A 64core Zen2 Epyc processor can already do realtime 8k HEVC 10bit encoding, and at 79fps to boot:

https://www.techspot.com/news/81905-...l-time-8k.html

So if you only need 30fps or 24fps, or perhaps 50fps or 25fps for 50Hz territories, then you could get away with a considerably lower CPU core count.

Heck even for 60fps you could probably get away with a 48 core Epyc since, if the multi-threaded encoding scaling was 100%, you'd be seeing 59.25fps on a 48core Epyc. However, since multi-threaded encode scaling almost never perfectly scales with core-count, and since CPUs with fewer cores tend to also have higher base clocks, it'd be quite likely that you could even see slightly above the required 60fps from a "mere" 48core Zen2 Epyc processor.
Well, although it is impressive, without knowing the actual image quality and bitrate of the produced encode, it doesnt mean that much to me.

Last edited by excellentswordfight; 25th September 2019 at 09:24.
excellentswordfight is offline   Reply With Quote