View Single Post
Old 21st September 2009, 20:44   #999  |  Link
carlmart
Carlos Martinez

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC View Post
1. If you selected PAL as default video standard, then any project will be set to follow PAL standards (resolution and framerate)

Of course I am not selecting PAL. I go to Preferences > Audio/Video and deselected it there.

But I do have two descriptions for the file I am loading, which is an m2v demuxed from my DVD:

1) In Source/titles it's listed as 720x480 29.97.

2) In View/Edit Title settings is listed as 720 x 576 PAL. It doesn't matter is is I set as NTSC in Preferences.

Why is that?

Quote:
2. A 1.66 letterboxed to 4:3 DAR DVD should be kept as it is, without trying to force it as widescreen.
Why would that be? At least I eliminate the horizontal bars, even if I keep the pillars. At least the latter are considerably smaller than if there's a 4:3 image inside my 16:9 plasma screen.

Quote:
Anyway if you want to force it, AVStoDVD by default will crop top and bottom to reach 16:9 proportion, as you have seen. If you want to have left and right black pillars, then you have to play with AviSynth:
- Crop() top/bottom
- Resize()
- AddBorders() left/right
- Resize() again

Check it out by yourself. If you are smart enough, you can have just one resize. Good scripting!
I am trying to learn a way to compute that for less than 1.77 aspect ratios. Can you tell me how can I do it in one resize or tell me where to find that out?

Thanks!

Edit: just went have a look at another French film of mine I had also resized, with excellent results. The combo script used crop() and resize().

In my present case I ended up with:

Crop(0,44,0,-44)
Lanczos4Resize(720,480)

It looks very good.

Last edited by carlmart; 21st September 2009 at 21:31.
carlmart is offline   Reply With Quote