View Single Post
Old 17th May 2012, 06:18   #1  |  Link
hunter_aran

Weird Mediainfo, cropping, aspect problem...

I didn't know where to put this so Mods please feel free to move it where it should go...

First of all, I want to say this forum is awesome and a constant source of knowledge and learning! So for you guys tolerating my questions, I really appreciate your time.

I've been on this aspect ratio quest for the last few months, running into various problems. Thought I had everything figures out... Anyway, my latest issue happened when I started using the MuldeR's Simple x264 Launcher. Amazing program, check it out if you haven't already! Well I thought there might have been a bug in it because I thought it was the only thing that changed in the batch of files I was working on. Well I found out by trial and error that in fact it had to do with anamorphic files that are not cropped and Mediainfo's report.

What happens is that I have a h264 file in a Mp4 container at 720x480, ending up at 640x480. The SAR (or PAR if you like) is set at 8:9 in the stream and the container has the same ratio set at 8:9 and display resolution of 640x480. So everything looks fine and dandy. Well I pop it in to Mediainfo and it gives me two lines of "display" and "original" aspect ratio. Both lines say 4:3 but I've been told that when both lines appear, it means that the container and stream ratios don't match. Aargh!

Well I encoded one of these messed up files again, this time cropping 4 off the bottom and behold the Mediainfo window says the aspect ratios are the same! Why did the non-cropped one have a discrepancy and not the same one cropped? Any ideas...? Is this that ITU thing I don't understand?

I used either MTR or DVDFab vob passthrough (for tough encryption) for copying the files, DGindex, Avisynth, Simple x264 Launcher, and finally Subler to set the container display info. Worked correct before...
hunter_aran is offline   Reply With Quote