View Single Post
Old 13th July 2014, 23:38   #7  |  Link
thescrapyard

I have tried a few encoders, but for quality over speed nothing touches DVD-RB as it basically takes the source DVD apart and rebuilds it to match the available bitrate, which is why its much slower than those that get their speed from trying (and usually failing) to remove the bitrates of the sources they 'think' you won't notice, its IS noticeable especially now on very large LED TVs that are 60" and upwards with screen quality much much clearer than 5 years ago where the majority were still using tubed TV's that maybe reached 27" if you had the money and space

DVD-RB is probably one of the very few encoders that FULLY supports AviSynth, so that factor on its own is a massive plus point for anybody processing very old DVDs and trying to clean them up and keeping the originals that are now probably deleted so very difficult to buy again if damaged

I still run DVD-RB but use it with AviSynth 2.6.0.4 and HCEnc 0.27 without any issues in multi-threaded support for AviSynth. Unless I'm running very slow filters can quite easily achieve 150+ FPS without much effort and without any filtering easily reach 300+ FPS so its not slow, the slow issues are usually down to the users hardware. HCEnc will happily take a smuch CPU as it can take almost to 100%, it your CPU isn't running at 100% its because HCEnc can't run any faster due to the massive increases in CPU and memory speeds from 5 years ago so just doesn't need to take all your CPU cycles

I haven't updated my CPU or memory in about 2 years now, but I am running an Intel i5 2500k running at 4.5ghz with 16GB of pretty fast memory so unless I upgrade to an i7 then I'm not really going to see much more of a speed increase, and its not worth the extra £200 it will cost me for maybe 20% speed increase, as the Intel i5 is running about its limits with an air cooler (but its a BIG very efficient air cooler so isn't overworked heat wise in an Antec 1200 case with plenty of cooling fans keeping ambient temps down)

HCEnc pretty much matches CCE2, and 2 passes is plenty unless your really anal and want to push it to 9 passes using CCE. Each pass after 2 passes is much much more time for very little gain as each pass just adjusts the bitrate tighter and tighter for some scenes. Very high action movies (like Star Wars) apparently did see the extra passes help. But they are a minority and the majority manage with 2 passes

If your using an i3 then your not getting the best from your system as well, have a quick read of this I just found that hopefully explains it

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/art...t-for-you-475/

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/articl...ore_i3_i5_i7_/
thescrapyard is offline   Reply With Quote