View Single Post
Old 23rd October 2018, 02:32   #1  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

SORTED :) Windows After XP Sux big time.

All A.O.K now, thanx all

Having recently 'upgraded' to W7, I'm trying to get to grips with the W7 weirdness, probably due to permissions and UAC.

I was wondering if there has been some tutorial posted on-site for taming said 7.

Manolito posted this some time ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
Because Windows did indeed improve up to XP (with the exception of the Millennium version which came out after Win98SE). After WinXP everything went downhill. Win8 and Win8.1 was a joke (at least for users without touchscreens), and Win10 is an absolute nightmare for me. Leaves Win7 which is not too bad, but only after tweaking dozens of things to make it resemble XP. This includes turning off this stupid UAC, tame this whole permissions thing, disable Virtual Store (I want to know where my files REALLY are stored). Also getting rid of the built-in ZIP support, installing Classic Startup Menu, make Windows use the DS source filters which I have installed instead of the crappy MS filters, and some more...

After applying all these tweaks I can live with Win7. But MS is actively working to put Win7 into the position WinXP is in now. Just read that their upcoming Office 2019 will need Win10. Once they succeed in making Win7 unusable I will certainly say goodbye to MS. I hope that ReactOS will be ready by then...
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...03#post1832703

One weird prob I'm having is when I right click avs file and load into VDub2, on pressing VD2 avs script editor F7 (save and refresh) key, it just stops responding altogether. Also, in MeGUI, it simply hangs before showing the Aspect Ratio preview window.
(above with VD2 and MeGUI x86, have not as yet even tried x64 where I anticipate even more problems).

I currently have Classic Shell installed (which fixes that god awful Windows Explorer jumping about thing when you click on a folder). Unfortunately the explorer is still bloody awful in comparison to the XP edition. It is hard to believe that W7 Windows Explorer has survived so long without its bugs and peculiarities being squashed.

ReactOS is due to be released at v5.0 (end of this month) finally with NTFS read and write (currently read only, but hack in registry to get write to work).
Also, Libre Office is getting quite good now, who needs MS Orifice 2019. (Last for XP v5.4.7.2)

Any advice/suggestions greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Offsite page on disabling Virtual Store:- https://interworks.com/blog/dsmith/2...virtual-store/

EDIT: Where Manolito refuses to use any plugs that will not run on a PIII, I will not use plugs that will not run under XP
(as I still use XP on multiple machines, at least P4).

EDIT: I run as an administrator, and would prefer to keep UAC if possible to tame it.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 24th October 2020 at 16:08.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote