View Single Post
Old 22nd April 2010, 06:09   #7855  |  Link
SoniG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
Different presets at the same CRF are not guaranteed to give the same quality. This is particularly true on the following three boundaries:

1. No AQ -> AQ (ultrafast -> superfast)
2. No MBtree -> MBtree (veryfast -> faster)
3. No psy -> psy (faster -> fast)
That's what I would say. CRF could be variables but with better preset and other x264 setting quality. With the same CRF, the quality is not the same with ultrafast preset and slow preset. The only difference is encoding time. I already take time to make a full backup in the highest quality possible, bonuses included, I have time to give the same for the PiP. The main movie took 14 hours to encode, the secondary : 10 minutes (that is in 480p I know). Why not just let the secondary with the same quality than all the rest with 1pass, crf you want? To not say normally you should only need to touch the crf in 'one pass encoding' and the bitrate in 2 pass for your final BD size calculation. All the other parameters are for quality/encode speed already set to the beginning by the user.

Last edited by SoniG; 22nd April 2010 at 06:54. Reason: forgot crf calculate the bitrate in 1 pass, duh!
SoniG is offline   Reply With Quote