Old 23rd October 2019, 18:18   #4934  |  Link
qyot27
...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
Really?!

Another set of plugins?

Please some pity with the users.
Unless you're fine completely abandoning the use of C++ plugins, there's no way around that problem. C++ implementations are compiler-specific, and C++ plugins must be built with the same compiler that built the program core. The things that might have been able to partially smooth over this problem would have the effect of completely breaking existing 2.5, 2.6, and Plus plugins and would have had to have been done years before AviSynth+ even existed.

The C API is the easiest way to avoid that problem, because it sidesteps the issue entirely. But there's not a whole lot of C plugins, and only two or three I'd consider to be of major importance (the C-plugin variant of FFMS2, AssRender, and maybe yadif).

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito
So at least the GCC version should be slightly hidden, and there should be a clear warning (in red bold letters) that this version is not meant for the average user.
I had to rename it in order for it not to be first in the list anymore (the order is down to Github's own sorting), and I added a warning to the release post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkey_monkey
What is the GCC version for?
Under Windows? Speed tests, compiler compliance tests, and debugging with gdb (although as I noted before, the available GCC build is not a debug build and has its symbols stripped). Cross-compiling with MinGW-w64 under MSys2, Cygwin, or from Linux distros.

GCC support is paramount for cross-platform development, though. GCC (or compilers that stay compatible with GCC's output) is dominant on pretty much everything that's not Windows. At present in one of the development branches, nearly all of the AviSynth+ core and filters can compile natively on Linux. The missing bits are critical for it actually working on there, but basically, that leap to being fully cross-platform is tantalizingly close now - and a significant reason is because GCC compliance was added 3 years ago.

Last edited by qyot27; 23rd October 2019 at 18:30.