Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 23rd June 2016, 21:27   #1807  |  Link
ultim
AVS+ Dev

Everybody please, there is no need to point out that a conversion layer can be written. As described in #1770, I know that the old interface can be worked around. But frankly, I will not invest my own time in developing and maintaining compatibility to something which we actually want to switch away from, once we switched away from it. I will not block such attempts, so if somebody comes up with working patches, I'll merge them. But those patches won't come from me.

As for accessing size_t members using int-functions: That will work in *most* cases, as long as plugins are well-behaved. Unfortunately, by some brain-dead decision in the early development of avs classic, the class members have been made public. Knowing the quality standards of many plugins, there is no guarantee that somebody does not access the fields directly, or maybe even create/dereference instances of VideoFrame objects. They shouldn't, most plugins probably don't, but this is a breaking change of the ABI, and I won't be doing code reviews of all plugins to determine which ones we broke and which ones we didn't.

It would be a different story if we had a central repository of all plugins in Git so that we can recompile them with a single click, as well as a package manager, so that if somebody updates the core, plugins will be updated automatically to the new interface. This was a GSoC-proposal once...