View Single Post
Old 15th April 2017, 16:59   #43354  |  Link
Neo-XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

What's the point of adding "low", "medium" and "high", if I list multiple different options for each? The whole point of the way the dropdown box works right now is to protect users from making crazy decisions, which the history of this thread shows is a real problem. I may switch to using medium instead of low quality for chroma doubling, though.
The point is to have the choice of the algorithm, while indicating the level of quality of each one so users don't make crazy decisions
If they don't know what they are doing, they should stick with "let madVR decide" anyway. That is why this option exists, right ?
Switching to NGU Sharp (medium) will not solve the problem, as it will still be too sharp. The only solution is other NGU variants (like you did for chroma upscaling).

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
If you're honest, IMHO you would probably have to admit that the difference is incredibly small, and this at something like 5000% zoom, and with a test image which should be ideal at showing the difference. Don't you agree? With 99.99% other images, you wouldn't see any difference at all even at 500000% zoom. Would you really want to spend precious GPU resources on using Jinc AR for such a tiny quality difference at 5000% zoom?
Yes, I agree and admit that, but I think that you minimize too much the impact of chroma doubling in image quality.
I was not planning to use Jinc anyway if there is a good NGU alternative to NGU Sharp for chroma doubling, and Jinc has all the chances to become totally useless (performance and quality wise) with NGU Standard and NGU AA.

Last edited by Neo-XP; 15th April 2017 at 17:46.
Neo-XP is offline   Reply With Quote