View Single Post
Old 12th March 2009, 00:18   #6  |  Link
nm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason50146 View Post
I use the x264 codec exclusively. When using mencoder, I used the -aspect option after determining the correct value via mplayer. That seemed to work well. But maybe it is not necessary to supply -aspect?
No, it shouldn't be necessary. I encode a lot of anamorphic sources with MEncoder & x264 and I've never had problems with automatic aspect ratio signaling. But if you had to correct the ratio on normal playback with MPlayer too, there could be something wrong with the source files.

Quote:
Also- I wanted to mention that I installed the latest handbrake SVN and it seems to encode a lot faster than the current release version, which I think is 0.93. It seems faster than the current release (not SVN) of mencoder, too. I encoded one movie so far with it and everything worked well.
Encoding speed is mostly determined by the version of x264, if parameters are the same. I don't remember how Handbrake is built, but if the SVN includes a recent version of x264 while 0.93 and MEncoder use older libx264 versions, that could be the cause of the speedup. Or some encoding parameters have simply been changed.

Last edited by nm; 12th March 2009 at 00:22.
nm is offline   Reply With Quote