View Single Post
Old 12th July 2020, 21:49   #29611  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman0208 View Post
You mean like: take a sample of 24 frames from every minute of the movie ?

Oh, and what I just noticed ... is BD-RB cabable of HDR10+ ?
(sorry if that topic came up already)
because MediaInfo shows me on very few movies

and after the BD-RB conversion:

Or did I miss a secret switch?
The AVISYNTH sampling is configurable. See HIDDENOPTS.TXT:
Code:
SAMPLE_GROUP=n		n = Number of frames in each sample group for CRF estimation
SAMPLE_SIZE=n		n = Number of frames in each sample for CRF estimation (size/group = sample percentage)
The default values change depending upon on source framerates. But typically they are a 1% sample (e.g. 24fps uses a 48 frame sample [SAMPLE_SIZE] for every 4800 frames [SAMPLE_GROUP]).

On an HEVC source (in the upcoming version) a sample M2TS is created which consists of a 1% sample across multiple locations within the source.

BD-RB supports HDR10 and Dolby Vision. I don't think I've looked at HDR10+ yet (it's been a while), but frankly I am skeptical of all of these "extensions" to HDR10 as I think they are getting ridiculous and may in the same category as "HD Audio" (which is nothing beyond a marketing gimmick that has been proven scientifically as nonsense). Of course that comment will likely result in responses from people with "magic ears" who will say how they can tell the difference (even though what they actually hear is increased baseline volume that the marketeers have implemented in HD audio to try and make it appear as if there is an actual difference). Double blind tests show that (other than the additional channels available available in HD formats) Dolby Digital 5.1 at 640Kbs is indistinguishable from an lossless original audio source. Okay, time to step down off my soapbox.

I suppose I will have to look at HDR10+ just to keep the wolves at bay. But my guess is it will soon be replaced by HDR10++ or HDR10+ super-duper-excellent or some such thing. Marketeers have no boundaries (or ethics).

Last edited by jdobbs; 12th July 2020 at 22:20.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote