View Single Post
Old 12th September 2018, 03:50   #909  |  Link
TD-Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarinka View Post
1) there is a general lack of configurable settings and I heard some rumor that this might actually be somewhat a policy (like the nonexistent user-facing configurabiltiy in Theora?) and not just effect of being early in development.
I plan to add debugging options exactly for the purpose of getting feedback from users - the first obvious thing to add is the internal cdef-dist parameters to tune them. That said, they will remain debug options - for example, we may change how cdef-dist works internally when we find a better way to do it, and that will break the options. If you find a combination of debug options that looks better, I'd rather you report it as a bug and we use that information to change the defaults.

BTW we are getting segmentation soon - once we get it I'll let you know, it'll make the effect of cdef-dist far stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarinka View Post
2) a smaller thing: there is very little feedback given by the commandline encoder. A FPS counter probably isn't completely important, but there is one thing that really would help with testing, and that is a achieved bitrate being reported at the end. I was rather suprised Rav1e didn't report this, because I wanted to encode a comparison clip with 2pass with another encoder and this is rather complicating. I have to figure it out based on filesize but the output's already in a container that has some unknown overhead... I used bitrate calculator like in 2006 but note that those generally only have 1 second precision, which is not very exact for short testing samples.
I would happily take patches for this. That said, the top priority is actually to get it integrated with ffmpeg, which will give you a printout of the framerate and bitrate, plus allow muxing and many more input formats.
TD-Linux is offline   Reply With Quote