View Single Post
Old 1st June 2017, 00:03   #43968  |  Link
igvk

Returning to the issue of oversaturated colors of some videos on wide-gamut displays:

For the sample video, I made the following test: in the video player that was using madVR, switched to interpreting video as full range (via madVR shortcut) and made a screenshot in PNG. Then opened it in Photoshop and analyzed the values in the areas of these artifacts.

Red areas were indeed oversaturated in R channel (highest R was 255), but G and B were less than 252 (and even less that 235 in green area), although R values were 0 (or close to zero) there. So, most of the visible problems are in areas with R not in range 16-235 (or even 1-254).

Here is the captured frame:
Photoshop_-_Color_Lookup_Table.mkv_-_00000.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
it could be clipped.
there are for sure mathematical ways to ignore 0-16 and 236-255 or they could be mapped to 16/235.

of cause i have no clue how much work that is.
Quote:
As for the range of the original video - I couldn't understand your answer on whether it's limited or not.
should be limited(a normal video). it is not worth to check it with a histogram and the issue has nothing to do with the range anyway.
It seems that either the video is badly encoded, or it is wrongfully interpreted.
Anyway, does it really has any sense to have values 0 and 255 pass to 3D LUT then?
igvk is offline   Reply With Quote