View Single Post
Old 28th November 2018, 22:48   #28174  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaFuture View Post
Have you had any of those slight pauses with BD as well? Reading these newest posts, I'm wondering if while JD has been using newest TSMuxer is it affecting BDs also, not only UHD..? Since I've noticed pauses in BDs.. Which I hadn't checked for a while ago. I was thinking it's related to encryption removal from other software. Hmm!
I don't think it's a TSMUXER issue for normal BDs.... I've done hundreds and have never seen it. TSMUXER has a long history of working properly with AVC.

As for UHD-BDs... I can tell you down to the bit exactly what is going wrong, as I have written code to analyze the output stream. It's not recognizing NALs on IDR frame structures when reading the HEVC file (not always, but often) and tucking them into the PES of a preceding (usually B) frame. It then is screwing up the PTS and DTS values because it didn't know that frame was there. From what I can seen so far the original discs are using mostly I frames because they are utilizing open GOPS, so the error is less common -- as an IDR only comes around in a huge number of frames. My guess is that the pauses are happening when it actually does miss an IDR. The open GOP of X265, however, doesn't seem to work, yet, as it causes stuttering. I haven't put my finger on why yet. But I'm guessing the X265 developers know this -- as they disable open GOPs when you set the "--uhd-bd" command line flag.

Last edited by jdobbs; 29th November 2018 at 14:36.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote