View Single Post
Old 14th July 2020, 22:05   #29615  |  Link
jdobbs

I set it to --multipass 2pass-full and it shows it as set while it is running... but the speed seems identical and it appears to only do one pass. I think this may be a mode I read about previously (somewhere), where it does two passes on a limited subset of frames (the lookahead, maybe?). It wouldn't be considered as really two pass.

True two-pass encoding requires a look at the entire stream so bits can be allocated with the entire set of frames under consideration.

With that said, I'll do some testing and see if --multipass results in any noticable improvements.

[Edit] Curiouser and curiouser... you can even set --multipass 2pass-full when using CQM mode. How does that work?
And it appears that two-pass is ON no matter what settings you use. The encode shows 2pass-full mode even when I set --multipass none or --multipass 2pass-quater [SIC] It even says it is on if you leave the --multipass option off completely.

v5.10 is running a little slower than v5.09 and the output size with the same setting is a little larger with v5.10 (with the same CQM value)... so something has changed. I'm just not sure what. Maybe it's because 2 pass is stuck on no matter the setting? No idea.

So....

Last edited by jdobbs; 14th July 2020 at 22:44.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote