View Single Post
Old 26th September 2008, 06:37   #1  |  Link
Textbook

Help with MSU Deinterlacer

I am new to AVISynth and I am trying to test out a deinterlacer I found, named MSU Deinterlacer. Previously I have used Smart Deinterlacer with VirtualDub and AVIDemux, but MSU looks like it would work better. My main use for this is TV Tuner captures from an analog cable source. Mainly ice hockey games that I wish to archive.

My TV Tuner is a Hauppauge PVR-150. This card has a hardware Mpeg-2 Encoder, so everything is already encoded into Mpeg-2 (PS) right from the get-go. 720x480 resolution, 30fps, up to 10mbps CBR.

I have uploaded a 30-second sample clip here: http://www.360mods.net/hockey/test.zip

As you can see, interlacing has a huge effect on this type of footage, because of the fast motion and high contrast (dark sticks / players on white ice). Here is frame 500 of the above video:

I am trying to use AVISynth, MSU Deinterlacer filter, and Virtualdub to deinterlace the above video, and this is my sample script:

DirectShowSource("C:\Documents and Settings\Textbook\Desktop\test.mpg")
ConvertToYUY2()
LoadPlugin("C:\Documents and Settings\Textbook\Desktop\msu_fieldshiftfixer.dll")
AssumeFieldBased()
MSU_FieldShiftFixer(1,0,0)
ConvertToRGB24()

When I try this, the video just comes out the same, still interlaced.
Textbook is offline   Reply With Quote