View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2019, 15:05   #24  |  Link
~ VEGETA ~
The cult of personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by excellentswordfight View Post
There is no magic on the xeon line for that stuff, its basically the ECC support (which is not cricital for those workloads) and the fact that in past you almost had to use them to get the core count up. But in reality you could actually lose performance because they lacked in singel thread performance compared to the consumer line, cause most workstations are not used for rendering 24/7 so interactive workloads are faster on consumer chips a lot of the time. This have been somewhat fixed with the new Xeon-W line though.

The most promising part of the upcomming Ryzen3 is that they should no longer have a big AVX disadvantage compared to intel (9700k beats or is close to 2700X in x264 and x265 because of it for example). So they should give very nice value for both encoding and general workloads like gaming and professional software suits cause you get an high thread count (for an consumer line) and decent singelthread performance.

I am planning to get a nice desktop computer later on, which is to be used for everything including encoding, engineering software (solidworks, autocad plant 3d, etc...), little gaming (not too huge ones) and so on.

Some people recommended Ryzen 2700x to me as the best for all-purpose PC, coupled with good nvidia GPU (1060 or more).

In encoding, I use vapoursynth with stuff like bm3d, f3kdb, line stuff, etc.. and encode 1080p material mostly and in x264-10bit. I have online.net atom 2750 dedicated server which is no were near good for encoding but I get it done since I don't really care for speed on a dedicated server.

However, I really want some nice fps if I wanna do it on my desktop right? I'd say 10 fps is nice and +20 fps is good for such a script. ofc, encoding to lossless then directly to 1080p and 720p seems faster.
~ VEGETA ~ is offline   Reply With Quote