View Single Post
Old 11th October 2014, 14:49   #10  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
What I mean is that if you use a very slow PRESET (without limiting x264 to a certain profile or level), then the profile and/or level may be higher than what you expect, and therefore it might be NECESSARY to use the --profile and --level options.
What do I expect? I expect that, if I neither use "--profile" nor "--level", then x264 will set the "correct" Profile and Level for me. That is: the lowest possible Profile that my stream complies to as well as the lowest possible Level that my stream complies - given the current input file and the current encoder settings. Consequently, manually enforcing an even higher Profile or an even higher Level would make no sense. Enforcing a lower Profile can make sense, e.g. if I need to stick within "Main" Profile, because my playback device can only do "Main" Profile but not "High" Profile. Enforcing a lower Level, on the other hand, is almost always a very bad idea, as explained and demonstrated in the previous post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holygamer View Post
Can I request a small feature please. At the moment when you modify a profile it gives you the option to select a profile to overwrite. But I can't always remember the name of the profile I was editing and want to overwrite because it has a long name.
You can't modify Profiles, because they are predefined by the H.264 standard. All H.264 Profiles that x264 recognizes should be selectable from the "Profile" combobox.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 11th October 2014 at 14:53.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote