View Single Post
Old 15th May 2020, 20:08   #187  |  Link
JoelHruska

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
At least one space battle definitely has 29.97p content. Someone posted in another forum a sample. How many scenes like this ? I never got into watching DS9 compared to the other series

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...SC#post2578796

Some people reported "interlaced" . But is there actually any real interlaced content in this series ? By that I mean actual content with 59.94 different moments in time . Not some interlaced fade, not text overlays, or some orphan field.

My opinion #1 - Single rate anything - IVTC, deinterlace, whatever - will be jerky in sections because you have mixed content. VFR is the only way to have everything run at the correct frame rate.

My opinion #2 - One filter for everything is works good on some sections, but not so good on others. Definitely I would filter the problem aliasing sections selectively , otherwise you kill the details on 95% of the other sections. Counterproductive when upscaling. Analogy - A F1 car is great on a track, but sucks on city streets with potholes or offroading. A 4x4 is great for off roading but sucks on the track.

I don't know enough to want to make absolute pronouncements, yet, but those clips that were linked are from "Paradise Lost," (Season 4, Ep 12) which means there's just all sorts of fun stuff I haven't seen. At this point, I think the only sane thing to do is to assume that DS9 has basically everything in it, somewhere. We know that most of the show is in 23.976 fps, but even if that's 90-95%+, we also know that the last 4-5% is made of lots of other things. There are interlacing artifacts baked directly into source (I believe this is "hard" telecine?).

Deep Space 9 did not have a formula where non-CGI was 23.976 and CGI was 29.97 or 60i or what have you. It seems to have been more along the lines of "Mostly 23.976, but we do what we have to, in order to make the rest work."

I'm starting to appreciate why TNG, DS9, Stargate, and Babylon 5 are all called out as tricky in the AviSynth wiki.
JoelHruska is offline   Reply With Quote